Thursday, July 18, 2013

Last Days before No Man's Land

Thursday, July 18, 2013
4:03 p.m.

Right now I am hanging out in San Pedro de Atacama, Chile (country 27 of my life and 5 of this journey!). I am a bit under the weather, but am grateful it is much warmer here than in Bolivia. 

To finish my jungle journey....

The van ride home and night in Rurrenbaque were fairly unadventurous.  I had to leave at 12 to catch my flight, so I decided why not take a moto taxi?  I hailed one at the street corner and hopped on the back of what looked like a 15 year old and his bike.  We were off!  After about 2 of the 15 minutes to the airport, my awesome hat fell off!  I asked the driver to stop and go back and saw a man pick up my hat and start running off with it!  What the heck? We caught up to him, I got my hat back, and we were off to the airport.  

I made it to the airport in one piece and chilled for an hour.  As you saw in the pictures from the last post, the airport in Rurrembaque is fairly small and security consisted of a wand being waved and a quick glance in my bag.  It was easier than getting into a Blackhawks game.  I flew back into La Paz and spent the next day and a half relaxing as I wasn't feeling too hot from something I ate.  One thing I have noticed here is when you get sick, it takes much longer to go away.  I know this as I am still not 100% and it has been a week and a day.  

Anyway, Monday I had plans!  I was going horseback riding through some awesome landscapes in the countryside of La Paz.  I still wasn't feeling too hot, but booked this ride a few days ago and I was going!  I took a cab to the meeting spot, made it by 2 (the assigned meeting time) and waited for an hour.  Crazy me to arrive on time.  Waiting here is a bit different as I never carry my phone and have to rely on what few things I carry with me for entertainment.  This meant I was reading the Lonely Planet Latin America Spanish Phrasebook. In Brazil, I would read the Portuguese one.  I kind of like the time away from relying on my phone the entire time for entertainment, although the minute I re-activate my phone, I am sure I will be using that again.

After about an hour, I was told by the person at the desk that my ride was out front waiting for me.  I walked outside, full expecting to see a car or a horse with a person wearing a professional shirt.  Silly me.  Instead, I was flagged down by a man in a beat up truck saying horse to me in Spanish.  In any normal circumstance, I would not go in a beat up truck with a random guy, but this is Bolivia.  I got in, checked that I could open the door from the inside, and was off. 

I arrived safely at the stable, saw some llamas, admired the view and saddled up to my horse, Dinamoca, which meant Dalmatian, as my horse was spotted like one.




After I was surprisingly given a helmet, we were off.  

This is my fourth time on a horse in South America and was the most beautiful ride yet.  (Colombia = most fun, Cuzco = most interesting, Macchu Piccu trek = most necessary).  It was also fun as I was the only one on the tour, so I enjoyed talking to the guide who only spoke Spanish.  I am not sure which language I am better at now, Portuguese or Spanish.  Most likely, Portuguese, but I need to study when I get home as it is slowly turning into Sportuguese.  

Here are some photos of the scenery:





After about 3 hours of riding (I paid for four - another "when in Bolivia moment"), the same guy in the creepy truck picked me up to drop me off at the meeting place where I would go and get a cab home from.  

We tried for about an hour there to get a cab.  No cab would take me back to my hostel as it was in the City Center and there was a massive parade going on for Bolivia Day (or something similar).  He then proceeded to drive me as close as he could to my hostel (another 1.5 hours with the traffic) and dropped me off about 10 blocks from the hostel.  My hostel was surrounded by the parade and I had to push myself through the thickest group of people ever (another hour).  I am not a fan of parades, so this was not fun.  I made it back finally around 10p.m., ate dinner, packed my bag and went to bed as I had to be up at 4 a.m. for my 3 day tour to Salar de la Uyuni!!!

Ok.  I need a nap.  Adios for now!  Hopefully I can catch up on my blog before I am back in Chicago in 3 days!

Kendra









No comments:

Post a Comment